Favourite Books & Other Print

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
This book was a landmark in my development as a young reader. It was the first time I recognized that if I liked one book by a certain author, I would probably enjoy their other books as well (next up was The Trumpet of the Swan). It was also the first book I remember reading that prompted me to consider the characters as actual individuals, and not just as character types. (Oh Templeton, are you the reason I love pet rats?)
  • Read about my long-standing error regarding the gender of E.B. White on my blog.
Green Grass, Running Water by Tom King
Altering the linear nature of a narrative is commonplace in visual media, but in this novel King's method of telling is as playful as the story itself. Engrossing, socially relevant, chock full of cultural references and funny as hell this book is layered like few others.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" a poem by T.S. Eliot
There's something addictive about the rhythm of J. Alfred's inner thoughts. His insecurities are so eloquently expressed it makes it all the more painful. Sure The Wasteland is impressive, but I consider Prufrock Eliot's masterpiece.



Other Print Faves
  • The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams
  • The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
  • Illusions by Richard Bach
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  • If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell
  • Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  • Why I Hate Canadians by Will Ferguson
  • Hunting With Hemingway by Hilary Hemingway and Jeffry P. Lindsay
  • The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
  • Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
  • How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
  • "The Cremation of Sam McGee" (poem) by Robert Service
  • The Shadow Club by Neal Shusterman 
  • The Skinjacker Series by Neal Shusterman
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  • The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
... and just about everything by Neil Gaiman

You can also visit my profile on Goodreads to see what I'm reading now (or have a look at the sidebar).

More of my favourites: Films | TV Shows | Plays and Playwrights