Kids Movies: See "Paper Planes" and More at TIFF this Easter Weekend

Thursday March 24, 2016

I've been busy pouring over the programming for TIFF Kids 2016, which starts on April 8. There are a ton of great-sounding new films I'm excited about seeing, but I'm also thrilled to see that Toronto families will get two more chances to see one of my favourite films from last year's festival.

Paper Planes is a 2014 Australian film directed by Robert Connolly and starring Ed Oxenbould as Dylan, an 11-year-old dealing not only with his mother's death, but with his father's debilitating grief. Discovering competitive paper plane flying gives Dylan somewhere to focus his energy and a way to to make new friends; which at first only drives he and his dad (Sam Worthington) further apart.




I usually only take Steve to two or three TIFF Kids movies a year, so I always hope they'll turn out to be good ones. He came with me to Paper Planes and we both thought it was a wonderful family film. I highly recommend checking it out this weekend if you get the chance.

Of course also showing this weekend is Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants. This happens to be another one Steve and I saw together and both really enjoyed; it's an endearing film without dialogue that mixes animated insect characters with real-world footage. Another great choice!


Paper Planes also gets bonus points for introducing Steve and I to Dami Im's cover of "Beauty in the World," which is a song that never fails to make me happy. If you're going to see the film, better to experience it fresh. But if you won't be going to Paper Planes, well, here's this:


Upcoming TIFF Kids Screenings

Paper Planes runs 96 minutes and was recommended for ages 8-12 by last year's TIFF Kids program. It and all of the TIFF Kids Easter Weekend selections - which include two collections of short films - screen once on Friday March 25th and again on Monday March 28th.

Visit http://tiff.net/spring2016-special-events/tiff-kids-good-friday-easter-monday-2016




Connect Online: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Wattpad | Goodreads | Google+

Comments