Working for About.com

My Time as an About.com City Guide


From November 2007 until July 2013 I was About.com's Guide to Toronto. I wrote reference articles geared to newcomers along with tips for long-time residents. I also blogged about the city's current news and special events, prepared a weekly newsletter, and provided my own digital photographs to accompany all of my writing. Eventually, the person who takes over my job may choose to edit or remove my content, but for now you can check out:
... to get an idea of what I did.

Working for About


Unlike many content sites, About.com has a thorough hiring process, and only selects one writer to serve as an expert for each topic. They provide ongoing training and support, but each guide determines how to best cover their topic. About.com was owned by the New York Times Company when I started writing for them, but was then sold to IAC/InterActiveCorp.

Why I Left About.com


About.com is a dream job for many freelancers, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to work for them. But after nearly six years I simply wanted to dedicate more time to my somewhat neglected fiction and playwriting projects (check the projects tab above to see how that's going!).

If you're interested in writing for About.com, visit the Be a Guide section of the site to see the list of currently available topics.