The Beauty of Slowing Down

During a sunset, hills are silhouetted between a pink, blue, and yellow sky and a lake glowing orange

We've been staying home and social distancing for two-and-a-half months now, as the spring of COVID-19 stretches into summer. All things considered, I'm surprised it took me this long to decide to spend some of this formless time giving my website a little refresh.

When I was looking for a new banner photo, this image felt like the perfect choice. It's a lovely photo if-I-do-say-so-myself, but it's also a lovely memory. A year ago next weekend, Steve and I rode the Maple Leaf together, a train that connects Toronto and New York City. We'd travelled to New York before, once by plane and once by bus, but since then I'd discovered the joy of train travel during a three day solo rail trip across America (which is a story for another time). Although that trip was filled with once-in-a-lifetime sights, it was even better to rattle along a little closer to home if it meant I could watch the sunset with someone I love.

This year, there's no travel lined up in our near future and no one-minute play festival to draw us to New York anyway, but as the anniversary of this sunset approaches, I'm reminded that the real beauty of the moment was in slowing down and spending time together, which is something we've been doing plenty of.


Comments