Compositions from the Kitchen - The Return of Magnetic Poetry

My mother gave Magnetic Poetry Kits to both Steve and I for Christmas. Mine was nature themed and Steve's was for haikus, but since the haiku set was full of nature words as well, we decided to amalgamate them into a single mega-set. Behold!

Boxes from two Magnetic Poetry Kits - Nature & Haiku - sit on a kitchen counter with a container full of word magnets between them.

I actually had an original Magnetic Poetry Kit and a Shakespearean bonus set when I was young (also gifts from my mother). I don't recall how often I used them as a tween/teenager, though I seem to recall that I would compose one short work and leave it on the fridge for months on end. Which really fails to embrace the inherent strengths of the medium, I think. So will the same thing happen again? Only time will tell. But for now, here is a first foray into my career as an adult fridge poet:

Magnetic poem on a fridge, text below

Listen to Lichen

Listen to lichen
Smile at seeds
Make friends with a mushroom
Walk with the weeds.


ART! 

(I will have to give up on rhyming pretty quick. There just aren't that many options)

Comments